Thread: desktop session settings

desktop session settings

as the compiz+lxde combination has a bug causing all tabs from all desktops to be allways visible, even when you disable it at the preferences I decided to try openbox just for fun.

So installed some openbox packages like obconf and removed compiz. then I went to desktop session settings to replace
    Code:
    compiz --replace
    with
    Code:
    openbox --replace
    at the next bootup I was greated by a desktop without window manager. The only solution was to go to lxterminal and type "openbox --replace".
    Scratching my head trying to figure out what I did wrong I fired up desktop session settings. The problem turned out to be that knoppix resetted the openbox --replace line to it's default compiz --replace line.

Why the hell is this hapening (to me) again, there were persistency problems in the past and that was solved by following this:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...highlight=lxde

I am running the cd version of knoppix 6.4.3 (have yet to try it on the 6.4.4 usb)

Methinks perhaps you are trying to hard.

Did the cheat code not work for you ?

Code:
    knoppix desktop=openbox

this gives me a beatiful gray background and no lxde stuff...

Don't tell me it's one of those cheatcodes interferring.
    They've been proven very useful but the default behaviour should be that it doesn't reset to default or interfer if the cheatcode isn't called.

is there another way?

Sorry dinosoep, I'm a bit dense sometimes.

You said you wanted to try openbox and now you have. You get a very nice grey screen on which you right click to get a menu. Lots of otherwise undiscovered applications but not the ones you love and no desktop - openbox is a window manger, not a desktop manager.

I realise now that what you meant was you wanted to try LXDE on openbox, the way it is meant to be, instead of on compiz.

The thread you refer to says something about a bug in 6.4.3 that's fixed in 6.4.4. You're still running 6.4.3. You may not deserve much tea and sympathy.

You should not need to uninstall compiz and I'd suggest that's a bad idea until you've actually got LXDE working on openbox.

A window manager is not quite on a par with your ordinary app. I don't think KK created Knoppix by simply installing a compiz package or two and uninstalling a few openbox packages. You might need to understand what KK did to replace openbox with compiz in the first place before you can replace compiz with openbox.

Luckily for you that may not be so hard. Have a look in /etc/X11/xsession.d/45knoppix.

thank you, I'm going to take a look.
    I have 6.4.4 and 6.4.3 but I'm still setting up some things on 6.4.4 to make it the way it's on 6.4.3.
    I use the 6.4.3 version to mess around with but I'm going to whipe it and install linux mint usb and see how that works out.
    glad to hear it's fixed in 6.4.4, I'm going to see if I can get it to work with openbox.

great, got it working
    thanks for showing me that configure script I knew nothing about

So you going to post details somewhere so everyone (including utu) can try this ?

The 'task bar panel showing all windows' bug fixed is it ?

Tips:

1) All meaningful configuration file are under /etc (somewhere) - there is usually no need to look anywhere else.
    2) knoppix appears in the names of most (all ?) scripts KK has added to Linux - there aren't that many others he's tinkered with
    3) KK tends to customise dynamically rather than statically - so his scripts alter other configuration files (and you tend to loose your static changes)

Senior Member registered user
    @ Forester

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45knoppix is a real 'find';
    an education in itself.

Next time you chat with KK, why don't you suggest he add a
    touchpad/external mouse correcting section in 45knoppix somewhere?

Senior Member registered user
    An example of an error you can't get rid of.
    (this double post)
    Last edited by utu; 03-20-2011 at 03:02 PM.

yes, the task bar show all windows is fixed
    Code:
    for LXDECONFIG in "$HOME/.config/lxsession/LXDE/config" "$HOME/.config/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf"; do
     [ -r "$LXDECONFIG" ] || continue
     # X2Go: Can't use compiz
     if [ -n "$X2GO_SESSION" ]; then
      if grep -q '^window_manager *= *compiz' "$LXDECONFIG" 2>/dev/null; then 
        sed -i -e 's|^window_manager *= *compiz.*|window_manager=openbox-lxde|g' "$LXDECONFIG"
      fi
     else
      if grep -q -v '^window_manager *= *compiz' "$LXDECONFIG" 2>/dev/null; then
       sed -i -e 's|^window_manager *=.*|window_manager=openbox --replace|g' "$LXDECONFIG"
      fi
     fi
    done
    I'm not sure if that
    window_manager=openbox --replace
    (it was originally compiz --replace)
    should actually be
    window_manager=openbox-lxde

anyway, it works without any discovered flaws