Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
Very nice that you have got this working! I have some comments, though:

1. Have you considered flash wear issues? While I think they could be controlled reasonably well in "pure" Linux, what about the virtual machine(s)?

2. Why did you use that particular partitioning/formatting scheme?

3. You may very soon run into problems with that small Knoppix partition (4GB).

4. Did you realize there is little sense in using two bootloaders and chaining when using grub4dos as the first?

5. Have you looked into Forester's remastering script? http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...allation/page2

6. I don't see exactly where remastering comes in for you/other users in this scenario. I think the necessary programs mostly come with the DVD version, and the necessary modifications are easily accomodated on persistent store.

7. I think the running virtual Windows machines can not be redistributed in any case, unless Microsoft provides licenses.

My own approach:
First, I use a 2.5" 115GB SSD mounted in an external USB3 cabinet. Two partitions: ca 30 GB FAT32 for Knoppix and data exchange, and the rest for ext3 storage.
Booting: Preferably with grub, but anything that works goes.

Knoppix: Remastered image plus 4GB persistent store. I use Vmware Workstation for running virtual machines, which are stored in a directory at partition2, with backup tarballs of important versions (always possible to go back). After remastering, vmware is now in the compressed Knoppix image. I use a modification of Forester's script for remastering.

Currently, I have Win2000, WinXP and Win7 in virtual machines, all of them in use,

In contrast to USB flash sticks, SSD runs FAST, in particular with USB3-eqipped computers.
1-I know flash issues. But the option I have to pu in my pocked is that
Because of that I am using Corsair FLash Voyager 32GB UFD and planning to buy 128GB one.
It's fast anough to run Virtual Machines.
2-The reason of Use the particular partition shema is that.
I am putting virtual harddisks in first big partition.
Also user profiles of windows(Desktop,Documents,Mailbox) are located at the first partition (Out of
the virtual disk). And I put a portable virtual box there. If I am working on a windows pc I am able to reach everything without boot form UFD. Also I am able to use same settings with booting from Knoppix.
3-4GB partition for knoppix is enough for me. Because I am using knoppix for only solwe driver issues and use virtualbox.
4-Using two bootloaders (Grub chained syslinux) is coming because of I don't have knowledge .
That was the only way I could find.
5-Thanks for your link about Forester's remastering script. I will try to learn and use it
6-Remastering need is comes from that. Using Flash disc with that way is very risky. When the bad scenerio comes true I will loose even persistent image. And installing and setting all again will take time. If I can remaster with all settings. I will keep a clean copy.
7-I am not planning to distribute that. Only I shared my experiences with peoples(All windows users )
Asking me to make this easy.(in 3 Month I received more than 1000 email). If I can remaster with all settings (Including Virtualbox settings and vmdk,vdi locations). People can use by only locating their own vdi's.

AND IF I AM ASKING SO BASIC(AND MAY BE WRONG) QUESTIONS I AM SORRY. BUT I AM REALLY FRESH ABOUT LINUX AND KNOPPIX.

THANKS ..