Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: knoppix 5.0 live dvd just sucks !!!

Re: well, this is it

Quote Originally Posted by zavalita2002
    Unfortunately, I gave up pretending that a linux distro, even the most user-friendly on the galaxy (linspire, xandros, knoppix) could actually replace the evil desktop master, that would be Microsoft Windows. You know, an OS to be installed onto the HD, be given a graphical tweaking and then, actually work with day to day software. But this is just a dream for the moment. You can't run Linux and Windows the same time, 'cause the both OS dont give a damn about each other (partition recognition). Even so, hardware detection is not 'perfect' in linux. Even so, the software written for linux is... free, which is so nice, but will (n)ever compete with the sofware for money, at least in the matter of... liability for the possible damage caused by that software. And wouldn't be fair, also...
    Well, I've tried about 15 distros, and to be honest, 'your' Knoppix (4.02) was closest to the needs of a ... Windows software passionate user, like me.
    I agree wholeheartedly. There is just no competition when it comes to the ease of use you have with Windows 2000 (which by now is Windows 2006 really, after all the updates). Working in Windows saves me so much time and hassle I'm actually surprised there are still people trying to deny this fact. If you want to win, you need to know your enemy..

For production speed, creative and actual use, you still can't beat Windows. Mac or Linux are not even close, I would say. I've been using PC's for 25 years now, and the hard fact is that removing and avoiding spyware or viruses aren't much of a worry or problem anymore, it has never been a big issue for me personally. You have a lot of choice in Windows. On the Windows systems I use I have no security threats going on. Especially those users capable of installing and using Linux/BSD should know that it isn't the OS, it's the user of the OS. The more likely you would be to use linux, the higher the chance that a MicroSoft install would be easier and just as safe to use for you.

I use Fedora Core and CentOS for some servers I maintain, and for that it's really great, but I still run a few Windows servers too, mostly because for example the G6FTP/BPFTP server software has such an amazing UI and is easier and faster to maintain than its unix/linux competition. Security has never been a problem or issue for me, because I know what I'm doing.

There are several software packages one can use in Windows, like Christian Ghisler's TotalCommander (the total winner on everything related to file-management!) and Sony's SoundForge/Vegas/Acid (no other audio software will beat those), that I have not found any close competition for in the Linux world, and it really makes me somewhat sad to have to stress that Linux desktops have a really long way to go before they get on that level. I don't get why those developers don't see what I see.

A recent development in Linux I dislike is the over-estimated importance of eye-candy. It just isn't that important in daily use of your computer. Slackware seems the only big distro to really get that. And of course MS Windows, which has let me strip it from eye-candy as much as I wanted. I need to work fast and sometimes watch TV/movies on my desktop machines, I'm not looking at icons or themes, in fact, if all is well I'm NOT looking at them, I'm actually using my PC productively, keeping it tidy and having my files where they should be.
    Most software is free for Windows too these days. And I can't even remember the last time I experienced a crash or freeze on one of my Windows machines, so that old fight is over.

The mounting philosophy (instead of drive-letter structure), and the "single-user=never root" thought-process are also things that just won't make it big for desktop/creation machines, in my opinion. It's insulting to the owner if you don't give him/her access to his/her own system. The first thing Windows users do is automate their login on their PC/laptop, having to type passwords all the time is VERY annoying. Who needs more users when it's just you? And why would you create a different user when there's just one? Who needs to change users just to change settings, if the only one doing it is the same as the default user? That's just too silly. If you can't trust yourself with your own actions on your machine, why use it at all?

That said I don't mean to say development for linux should stop or something like that, I just think both Linux and Windows should look at each other with more vision and peace of mind. Face reality: It's hard to beat MS Windows, and it's not without reason that so many people are still using it. They are not all nuts or stupid. Windows simply has had much more experience dealing with many more users. You can't reach the same user-experiences when you're just now starting to get to the little things Windows has been dealing with for ages.
    Kanotix and MEPIS are getting there, but speed and impatience will rule men's will, and until linux really masters that fact it will not be true competition. People will rather pay 200 Euros if it means they can still work as fast as they always could.

Quote Originally Posted by dvryknopper
    I run a more Debian version of knoppix called Kanotix which comes with 2 or more boot loaders that I know of, grub and lilo. Grub was automatically installed, I use it for a dual boot kanotix and windows system and the MBR is not taken over by either OS when I load them on the grub menus which brings me to my point, linux recognizes the partitions of windows just fine (it does this well once logged into the OS aswell) Windows is the one with the partition recognition problem.
    Nonsense. First of all, NTFS and ext3 and all those are just filesystems, they're not by definition related to the OS. NTFS is a much older system than many other new ones. Sure, it has its disadvantages, but they were not created to 'annoy the competition' or something, they were built for and on particular hardware, not knowing what the future of storage would be like.

I have a laptop with Windows XP, CentOS and Kanotix all running fine next to each other. I used to have Partition Manager giving me the boot-choices, which is actually a free DOS tool. Now I use GRUB for that. Windows does not see Linux, and Linux does not see the Windows partitions. You can if you want or need to, and it's just as much effort to get Windows to see a Linux part. than it is to get Linux to see the Windows part.

well, finally a very ... unpassionate opinion

Of course, you will burn for this, jult, the linux boys promise you that !
    To work with total coamander keyboard shortcuts, to control the eye-candy look of your OS, to save TIME working with familiar things... - it's all about means and purposes. OS is not a purpose in itself, it's just a mean to get your job done nice and easy. Period.
    This silly dispute over the good and bad, Windows or Linux, remainds me the browser's battle - first Internet explorer vs. netscape, now IE vs. firefox. It's obvious thst no one took a look at the number three of the charts, Opera. Which is the most VERSATILE tool I've ever met.
    Well, it used to cost money...

Senior Member registered user
    Nonsense. First of all, NTFS and ext3 and all those are just filesystems, they're not by definition related to the OS. NTFS is a much older system than many other new ones. Sure, it has its disadvantages, but they were not created to 'annoy the competition' or something, they were built for and on particular hardware, not knowing what the future of storage had in mind.

I have a laptop with Windows XP, CentOS and Kanotix all running fine next to each other. I used to have Partition Manager giving me the boot-choices, which was actually a DOS tool at first. Now I use GRUB for that. Windows does not see Linux, and Linux does not see the Windows partitions. You can if you want or need to, and it's just as much effort to get Windows to see a Linux part. than it is to get Linux to see the Windows part.
    If what you say Jult about it being just as much work to get linux to recognize the windows partitions was true, then how would you explain the fact that with no work on my part, on my KDE desktop I am able to see my windows partition and my linux partition? In windows you must use Partition Manager, to view the partitions, they are not viewable under My Computer unless you fiddle with them in in Partition manager which is what I was refering to when I said "windows is the one with the partition recognition problem" because windows won't allow you to view the other partitions in My Computer automatically like KDE does on its desktop. And while a relative newb, I do know what filesystems are and I also know that while NTFS is a good file system, I also know that if it weren't meant in some small part at least to "'annoy the competition'" Microsoft would make the inner workings of NTFS more open.

Quote Originally Posted by dvryknopper
    If what you say Jult about it being just as much work to get linux to recognize the windows partitions was true, then how would you explain the fact that with no work on my part, on my KDE desktop I am able to see my windows partition
    Because your KDE system installed a piece of software to be able to do that with. How is that special?

Oh by the way: http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm
    And there are many more of those out there.
    Always remarkable how Linux Promotion Unlimited suffers from the sudden incapability to use Google when it comes to MicroSoft bashing.

You missed my point entirely Jult...... I wasn't saying that the ability to have the drive recognized on the KDE desktop automatically was was "special" I was saying that it was slightly less work than you have to do unders Windows to view both the windows and linux partitions on the machine. My point was I didn't have to do any fiddling to be able to view my partitions while under windows you do. As for the link you posted....thankyou, your illustration of my point in that fashion was quite eloquent
    You are showing me a third party application that is not included with windows that you must download and install which is more fiddling than you have to do with my distro and I believe any distro using KDE, so thank you for reducing my risk of carpal tunnel syndrome by reducing the amount of typing I have to do I'm sure that must be a big problem for you with all of that googling you must be doing because obviously none of us poor linux users can use google.....

Member registered user
    Good Day all you Knoppix lovers,
    I do NOT usually reply to the kind of comments that our 'potential' new friend made re: knoppix 5. However I am internally compelled to comment. First, I have learned a huge amount about Knoppix & winblow$, the good, and less than good points, simply by lurking and learning. Second and more to the point, anyone you uses Knoppix should realize emphatically - it is not winblow$! When one takes the step to learn and expand their OS knowledge and methods one must expect that some things will not work as expected, indeed might not work at all. Such is the passage with new versions and software. I wish to suggest that one, a bit of respect for the fact that these people are volunteers and do this because they derive both enjoyment in helping us less knowledgable folk, and two the are actively helping in the growth of one of the most fascinating OS on a disk systems I've seen in a lifetime.
    Sure, some distros ( Linspire for example) strive to emulate the winblow$ model, fortunately few, so far as I know, but most try to create the unique flavor that is a live cd that is not exactly intended to install.
    I honor the fact that he came to the forum but I am disappointed in his humanity in courtesy, to fellow geeks.
    Obviously, I don't like Winblow$ however they are the frontrunner right now, simply because of their unethical practices and the underhanded and constant attempts to destroy the competition Knoppix represents ( Linux as a class more accurately ) in much the same way the AMA tries to destroy Chiropractic. Being realistic, there is little we can do to keep MickySoft from constantly changing the kernal in ways that prevent using the kernal to write to NTFS partitions, however, the creativity of the folks at the "Fuse" project is eminetly hopeful.
    In conclusion, My dislike of winblow$ is based upon it's tactics and monopolistic practices, rarely on the os itself. I prefer Linux and the Knoppix distros because you can tweak them in ways windows does not allow unless you are a programmer or incredibly knowledgable with the registry. I also wish to express my thanks for the learnings I have acquired here.
    I Remain ~ In Service & In Health,
    Captain Cautious

let's not forget this is a knoppix forum

Though I opened the pandora's case, , I must say that this opinions exchange will never end, so...

It should be pretty obvious to anyone who has been following this thread, and looked at jult's post history that he/she is nothing more than a flamer. I would advise anyone who wishes to use this forum for the betterment of their own personal knowledge to resist the urge to reply to anything else jult has to say in this thread. Jult's replys do not address what is presented in the post in this thread he/she is allegedly responding to if you notice, all they do is bring up a poorly thought out "reason" why M$ is better than linux esp knoppix or he/she brings up "push linux user buttons & piss off" topics (see his post before this one) that have nothing to do with what he/she is responding to.

zavalita2002,

its not totally your fault... you apologized for your initial comments which, while provocative, don't totally account for the "train wreck" aspect pertaining to this thread. you had a little help from subsequent posters...

"general support" is usually where forum users post technical questions with lots of supporting information to resolve a particular, concrete issue. you *might* have even been able to post this same in "the lounge" section and possiby gotten a few folks to agree with you.... as other posters noted, CEBIT releases are notoriously buggy.

i usually wait for the CD versions to come out for the official KNOPPIX releases. even with a high speed connection, the DVD downloads are too much for my patience. i would encourage you to retry the official 5.0 release when it comes out.

regardless, you may want to alway expect a few bugs of some sort or another, then you won't be too dissapointed when they rear their ugly head. however, so far i have not found anything that i coulnt' live with or fix by remastering the original myself.

entertaining thread, so i wanted to add my two cents (and always worth every penny)

regards,

~pau1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast