Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
There is always two sides to a coin. Either you call it knoppix created not enough loop devices or you call it knoppix created one too many loop device/directory.

Furthermore, if you could just extract a copy of /bin/mount from a knoppix 6.2 and test use it on your system ( you could copy it to say /tmp, and then issue command as /tmp/mount), then you will appreciate what I mean:- That extra loop device/directory is not disturbing the system at all with /bin/mount from knoppix 6.2. If you use a newer /bin/mount, yes, it matters.
I still don't understand this. Knoppix 6.2.1 created /dev/loop/0 - that's enough for Knoppix to mount on, but not for other purposes. So it's not one too many directories, it conforms to what newer versions try to use, just as you write. And we can, as I did, create more ourselves. I thought it seemed better to follow the development, but basically, I just wanted it to work. (And I'm not interested in more details than I absolutely need to know..)

Using your rm -rf /dev/loop trick, /dev/loop0../dev/loop7 are created afterwards - the old way. Seems to work just nice, BUT if some programs expect the newer organization, at least in theory it could be safer to use that? Instinctively, I'm not too happy with recursively deleting devices in init scripts.