I had actually heard rumors that both of these had been addresses in Knoppix 5, but your posts actually give me hope that they are not.

Linux can not safely write to NTFS, and this is something that Microsoft has put a lot of effort into making sure of. And now that they have everyone trained to install regular "security updates" it is my guess that Linux never will safely write to NTFS, as whenever it does small "security" fixes can be introduced that can tell the difference between a NTFS volume last written by XP and one last written by Linux, and deliberately corrupt it if Linux is detected. Do you think Microsoft would stoop to something that low?

As to the hard disk install, as long as Knoppix is still made of parts of the stable, testing and unstable versions of Debian, then it is not suitable for hard disk install. And the hard disk install scripts have never worked right, for over three years I've been reading posts about things that worked fine from the Live CD but broke after a hard disk "install". Knoppix is what it is, a great Live CD or Live DVD. If you want a Knoppix like system that installs to hard disk and can include any of the software included with Knoppix, install Debian, it is intended for hard disk install.

Do you really think a subject line like the one you choose is going to make you a lot of friends here in a Knoppix support forum? You are badmouthing a version of Knoppix that has not even officially been released to the Internet yet.