This is my second revision of my custom boot CD. The first version I made I had only removed some packages to slim down the CD size, but that was it. It worked fine.

I've created a second version now that has several customizations to the KNOPPIX image on the CD. I have also added a Fedora folder to the base of the CD that contains some install images. I also added a fc4 folder in boot/isolinux that contains the fedora boot images from the Fedora Core 4 CD. I have customized the boot menu which involved removing all images that were being loaded so it's simply a text menu with my custom menu options. Nothing fancy.

I'm using this command from the remastering knoppix howto:

mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
-boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
-hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda1/knx/master

The iso is bootable under VMWare and the CD boots on a couple of machines. The other ISOs I have boot on all machines including my first remastered ISO.

I can't think of anything that I'm doing wrong and I thought that if it wasn't going to work it wouldn't work with VMWare. Guess I was wrong.

Any ideas?

UPDATE:
More specifically the machines I boot from act like the CD in the drive is not bootable. I've tried arguing with the CD drive, but I just can't win.