Thread: boot from usb

boot from usb

i have been messing around with knoppix 4.0 for a while and out of the 10 or so live cds i have tried it seems to just work better. the only thing i havent gotten working is my dual moniter but i havent tried to hard on that one. heres my plight, i like the option of a cd. its just that i cd is fragile. and large. and some computers thqat i use dont have a cd drive open to me(comuunity computers). so i tried to use a usb booting os. how ever i only got puppy to work once and the 5 others that i tried wouldent load correclty. and i tried 2 diffrent usb keys. my sandisk 1gb and my dell 512mb. and i conciderded remastering knoppix to get just what i want so i dont have multiples of programs and programms i just wont use. but then i still have the same problem. i cant install it to a usb key. so if any one has any ideas or suggestions (please no partial instructions because i think that is one reasson people dont like lunix is because of the possibly confusing and partial instructions) i would greatly appreaceatie it. thanks...

Moderator Moderator

Re: boot from usb

Quote Originally Posted by scubanator87
    i have been messing around with knoppix 4.0 for a while and out of the 10 or so live cds i have tried it seems to just work better. the only thing i havent gotten working is my dual moniter but i havent tried to hard on that one. heres my plight, i like the option of a cd. its just that i cd is fragile. and large. and some computers thqat i use dont have a cd drive open to me(comuunity computers). so i tried to use a usb booting os. how ever i only got puppy to work once and the 5 others that i tried wouldent load correclty. and i tried 2 diffrent usb keys. my sandisk 1gb and my dell 512mb. and i conciderded remastering knoppix to get just what i want so i dont have multiples of programs and programms i just wont use. but then i still have the same problem. i cant install it to a usb key. so if any one has any ideas or suggestions (please no partial instructions because i think that is one reasson people dont like lunix is because of the possibly confusing and partial instructions) i would greatly appreaceatie it. thanks...
    Looks like you didn't search for very long... Please have a look in here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=93758#93758
    This thread also describes how to run knoppix from the hdd without creating a new partition for knoppix and without touching the mbr or the boot sector of your disk/partition. This is a very clean way and much faster way to run Knoppix than from the cd/dvd/usb. Please give me some feedback and let me if it works for you.
    Best Regards, Gilles

Member registered user

puppy

OP, did you use the boot floppy in puppy? They claim on goosee. to have a floppy iso which will load USB drivers, and let puppy boot from flash drive. I have it on future action list to look into that and see if it can be changed to boot other distros as well.