With "file manager" I found KNOPPIX_FS/usr/bin There is a file called iceweasel which contains a script that is probably beyond me to duplicate and identify changes required for Firefox. With the information provided by Werner, I also found the /KNOPPIX/usr/share/applications/iceweasel - desktop configuration file.

I changed some of the iceweasel text to firefox in the configuration file, saved it and copied it to the desktop. I have a shortcut without an icon (have FF icon in FF directory - must have to copy it someplace) that launches iceweasel. I changed Exec=iceweasel %u to Exec=firefox %u ---- but there must be more to this.

Let's see - typing iceweasel in the terminal window brings up iceweasel. Typing firefox in the terminal window also brings up iceweasel. Maybe this is the symlink Werner was talking about? I'll keep researching.

= = = = =
In "file manager" I also found "Applications" with subfolders Accessories, Education, Games, Graphics, Internet, Office, Preferences, Programming, Sound & Video, System Tools and Universal Access. These categories match the menu choices. Within "Internet" are the shortcuts for Internet Tools such as IceWeasel.

I have the short cuts in a left file manager window and the Firefox folder on a right file manager window with the firefox program. In windows XP, I would drag and drop firefox and choice create shortcut. However, not sure how to do that with knoppix.