Thread: Knoppix V6.7.0

Hybrid View

Senior Member registered user
    @ kl522

I don't know of a changelog, but this DstroWatch table lets you compare 6.7 with previous versions:
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=knoppix

This table indicates Firefox 5 to be an option with 6.7.
    I was unable to verify Firefox 5 as an option with my CD version of 6.7, even opening up all possible repositories.
    I had found Firefox 5 to have a few problems in Ubuntu Unity, so I'm not that anxious about this.
    For example, it would not retain preference changes in font maxes & mins and disabling of url underlines.

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    @ kl522

I don't know of a changelog, but this DstroWatch table lets you compare 6.7 with previous versions:
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=knoppix
    Better than none but they are not the kind of information which interest me in.
    This table indicates Firefox 5 to be an option with 6.7.
    I was unable to verify Firefox 5 as an option with my CD version of 6.7, even opening up all possible repositories.
    I am amused. The way things are classified, we may as well also list Opera and M$ Window Explorer as options too ! True enough, if you willing dig up everything and put in new things ....

May be mostly a kernel upgrade/bugfix release

From the documentation I have seen so far, this is mostly a kernel upgrade/bugfix/driver update release. Plus quite a bit of reworked Adriane stuff. I'm most curious about any changes to the innards, can't wait to take a diff of the minirt init (But I don't think so much has changed there recently.

As for Firefox 5.0.1, at least in 64 bits it looks promising.

Correction to my posts #3 & #5 about Chromium & Flash

I am embarrased to admit that I've got Chromium working with flash, after all.
    Not being familiar with its symbology, I missed the clue that 'some plug-ins are blocked'.
    Look for a little icon with a red 'x' in the address bar at the top.

Even so, I prefer Firefox-5 1st, IceWeasel-3.6 2nd and Chromium 3rd.

My bad. I don't know why the default is to block the built-in capability.

Is knoppix V6.7.0 more usable inside virtualbox compared to 6.4.4 ? Does it still need the 'noudev', after that mouse is not working ?

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I am embarrased to admit that I've got Chromium working with flash, after all.
    Not being familiar with its symbology, I missed the clue that 'some plug-ins are blocked'.
    Look for a little icon with a red 'x' in the address bar at the top.

Even so, I prefer Firefox-5 1st, IceWeasel-3.6 2nd and Chromium 3rd.

My bad. I don't know why the default is to block the built-in capability.
    utu:

I read your post with interest because I would like to get flash working with Chromium on my Knoppix 6.7 as well. I am new to Linux.

Had no problem with the red x "unblocking" and after being led to a number of adobe sites, downloading flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz and extracting it (libflashplayer.so) in the download folder, following some instructions I found about going to "aboutlugins" and enabling chrome Nacl and Default Plugin - version 1 (IceTea v. 1.8.7 was already enabled). For good measure I went to the Contents settings and set Javascript to allow all sites, and Plugins to run automatically. I even added CNBC.com to the exceptions in both Javascript and Plugins, so I though I was all set.

But when I go to view one of the videos on a CNBC.com site, instead of getting a playing video, I'm told I need to install flash player. I can only think that I haven't installed the extracted flash linux.tar.gz file into the proper place.

Do I have to close chromium and/or reboot? I haven't done this yet because I don't want to loose all my bookmarks and preferences. Can you help me? (I also downloaded Firefox and have same problem with installing flash into it, although I could install Download YouTube Videos + 3.3.51.)

If I can get flash working on both browsers, I'd like to try and set up my chromium browser to keep all my setting (preferences and bookmarks) intact, so that when I boot up I don't loose everything. In reading through the postings that follow your message, I understand that this can be accomplished with Knoppix using "overlayering" (on the thumb drive I have Knoppix installed), but this sounds a bit complicated. Is it?

Thanks for any input.

John

@ jm1944

Greetings, John & welcome to the forum.
    You have two main questions as I see it.
    1. Getting flash going; and
    2. 'Overlayering'

Let's tackle flash first. That's the easiest.
    I think the best way to do that is to use Synaptic.
    Synaptic is a menu item on you main menu.
    First time you use it, do 'reload' to update the cache.
    Then search for Flash. You should get an answer for flashplugin-nonfree.
    Install this and you should be set for both Chromium and IceWeasel;
    anyway, I was.

I use 'Silent Monks' on YouTube to test my flash & sound.
    First hit on Google.

Get that under your belt first, then come back and lets talk
    about overlayering. It's not really complicated.

@ jm1944

Greetings, again John.

When you last booted, were you given a choice on setting up a persistent store?
    Did you answer that question, or did it just whiz by?

If this makes no sense, just say so, and we'll start from there.