Thread: Trying to get Mobile Broadband working.

Junior Member registered user

Trying to get Mobile Broadband working.

I have 6.2.1 running on a 2gb usb drive and all goes well except when I try to connect to the internet via a 'mobile broadband stick'.

I duplicate the NetworkManager configuration to that which I have used successfully in Ubuntu but it doesn't work in Knoppix.

Most mobile-broadband USB sticks just work like a regular modem, so it's more a matter of determining which modem commands to send them than just finding a "driver" for a specific stick - they all should work with the standard Linux USB serial driver.

Can someone help me with a solution, I would very much like to have Knoppix on a usb stick and be able to get on the net via my mobile broadband USB stick....Huawei220, should be 'out-of-the-box'!

Moderator Moderator

Re: Trying to get Mobile Broadband working.

Quote Originally Posted by plumtreed
    I have 6.2.1 running on a 2gb usb drive and all goes well except when I try to connect to the internet via a 'mobile broadband stick'.

I duplicate the NetworkManager configuration to that which I have used successfully in Ubuntu but it doesn't work in Knoppix.

Most mobile-broadband USB sticks just work like a regular modem, so it's more a matter of determining which modem commands to send them than just finding a "driver" for a specific stick - they all should work with the standard Linux USB serial driver.

Can someone help me with a solution, I would very much like to have Knoppix on a usb stick and be able to get on the net via my mobile broadband USB stick....Huawei220, should be 'out-of-the-box'!
    Please post more details: error messages, if any, actual network manager config file, output of 'lsusb -v' and 'ifconfig' etc. Also, can you go back to Ubuntu and do the same when it is working? When it's not working, please try to ping e.g. www.google.com - If an error relating to dns comes up, try to ping the numeric address (i.e. 74.125.65.99 in this):
    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ ping www.google.com
    PING www.l.google.com (74.125.65.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from gx-in-f99.1e100.net (74.125.65.99): icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=23.3 ms
    I've been having some difficulty in certain locations (Starbucks/ATT wifi and some LAN-DSL connections) with name service when DHCP is used, so it's possible that is what you're dealing with - these things come in waves, though it seems they are unrelated (or "should be").

Cheers!
    Krishna

I came across the following thread which suggests a problem with the 'special' 63 Linux Magazine release which may parallel my problem with my recent CD download of the 62 version.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

Running lsusb -v shows my USB stick in place, ifconfig confirms it is not connected.

My Acer 5315 runs a BCM4312,

I tried 6.2.1 on Virtualbox and this shows that the 'wired' eth0 connection is working.

I am now assuming that I get wireless and wired ok but I am still unable to connect via USB broadband.

I fill in the NetworkManager utility duplicating other succesful OS connections but nothing shows a a selection choice in the NM applelet.

Has anybody ever got USB broadband to work in 6.2.1 ?

Senior Member registered user
    what type of modem is it? a huawei E220 or huawei E169 or perhaps a Iphone or Nokia? it would greatly help to know this.

if we get this it may also help to know if it is seen if you type (in a console)
    Code:
    sudo dmesg|grep modem
    or
    Code:
    sudo lsusb|grep modem
    also when we find what it is you have there are a few things that may be needed to get things working, the ones below are examples i have come in contact with, vendor ID and such are just examples but you get idea)
    like using USB-modeswitch
    #/bin/bash
    ./usb_modeswitch -v 0x12a3 -p 0x1234 -d 1
    ./usb_modeswitch -v 0x12a3 -p 0x1234 -H 1
    or AT comands.
    set the username and password and used the APN id in the AT+CGDCONT=... init string.
    Also I inserted another init string to pass the PIN code to the device (AT+CPIN="xxxx").

This is usually recognised as a Huawei220 described as a E160G

The following is the result of dmesg on vbox

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo dmesg|grep modem
    [ 206.354079] USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
    [ 206.354175] option 1-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    [ 206.357469] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [ 206.357515] option 1-1:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
    [ 206.357728] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    [ 206.357780] option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems
    [ 496.727163] option1 ttyUSB0: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
    [ 496.731527] option1 ttyUSB1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1

hmm, it can NOT be both E220 AND E169.
    they are completely different, one is same size as a smallish computer mouse other is size if a thumb-drive (and has the possibility to use SDHC card to actually work like one).

the first is auto recognized in Linux and will just require you to enter your specifics (what company and such) in wicd or similar graphical appp, second requires HUGE amount of work in the console with among others, insmod, USBswitchmode and AT-comands.
    what did the relevant part of
    Code:
    sudo lsusb -v
    say?

sorry if i will seem bad tempered but if i do not know what I am working with it will take me weeks (literally) to write down all the possible answers to you, there are so many different chipset (not maker nor model, but the chipset) and each has its specific way to go, add to that specifik makers utilize chipset differently, this will make things hard to say the least without further information.

so if model is not given I will stop here

You are very thoughtful to offer help, for which we all thank you.

My USB stick is labeled Huawei 160G but lsusb -v id's it as E220 HSPDA modem. Sorry, but that is the way it is!

I bought a magazine with Knoppix 6.3 on a DVD but I wanted something CD size and downloaded 6.2.1 to put on a 2GB USB drive.

The 'mobile Broadand' just doesn't work on either despite Klaus Knopper, in last months issue of the same magazine, saying it would in the Q&A section.

I am traveling for 2 months and wanted to use a usb mobile broadband connection during that time.

I don't want to 're-invent the wheel' because this is old tech and most Linux OSs offer it 'seamlessly'. I will use another Linux.

I think it is 'bug' and in fact it seems to have been acknowledged as one.

I sincerely appreciate your offer to help because I know it is a thankless task.

no need to thank me, i just wish i could help bit more, i know i likley can as I have used both modems mentioned above and both work ed just fine under Debian, have not tried with knoppix but...