Quote Originally Posted by Demopoly View Post
Can we update old threads once every year or two? Pruning?
My query is twofold: Is this backup information still correct?

ALSO: I installed 6.2 from a validated CD and upon updating to 6.2.1 encountered the libisc52 conflict which nobody anywhere has been able to resolve (that I've seen from 2 days of google searches.) Is it necessary to back up and reinstall with a fresh 6.2.1 CD to resolve this?
I can do that because I created a new partition on a half-empty drive to put 6.2 on in the first place.
THANKS.

And, PS, this is the only forum I've been on in the last year where the mods and regulars don't flame the noobs. SRSLY. Ubuntu forums are horrible for attacking and harassing people who ask simple questions. God forbid you ask the ubuntu staff for root! [cringes....]

THANK YOU FOR BEING CALM. [And, answering questions instead of attacking the questioner.] EADZ and others have responded nicely to me before, thus I'm joining permanently.

Don Lee
CEO Ungoth Inc. (Game development)
Broker, Coastal Keys Real Estate, Kirkland WA USA (day job!)
Hi,

for anyone that have problem updating knoppix with libisc52 conflict, this is just a sharing how I get this resolve (after 2 days trial & error):-

1. remove the conflicting package libisc50 --> dpkg --remove libisc50
  2. you may not success in case there are other dependency involved, as for my case libdns53, so I remove that as well --> dpkg --remove libdns53
  3. now I repeat step 1, its done!!
  4. now if you run "apt-get -f install" that involve libisc52 dependency, it should be ok now;

I noticed there is argumnet on friendliness on linux, frankly, its not as friendly as it does, but you will enjoy the satisfaction if your hack is work.

just be calm, as even I use linux for the past 10 years, I still encounter problem from time to time, but there is always workaround & kind people will help.

lets hope the linux is getting better & better