Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: knoppix 5.0 live dvd just sucks !!!

knoppix 5.0 live dvd just sucks !!!

I couldnt believe my eyes when realizing, after booting from a copy of a very difficult to get Knoppix 5.0 live dvd, that the most waited for linux distro wasnt capable of doing what a previous verson (knoppix 4.02) could do automatically : detect NTFS windows partitions... That is just terrible ! That, and the incredibly bloated menus, and the failed manual mounting of these NTFS partitions, made me really sick !! (
    What could be the problem ??

Senior Member registered user

knoppix 5.0 live dvd

Ask Microsoft.

another one

The famous hard disk install option, which was 'quite' necessary, is nowhere to be found !!
    I've spend 2 hours trying to find a way to install the damn software on my hard disk, hoping desperately that this sort of action would bring up my windows partitions automatically, and finally I gave up. Big disapointement, this version of Knoppix.

Administrator Site Admin-
    I had actually heard rumors that both of these had been addresses in Knoppix 5, but your posts actually give me hope that they are not.

Linux can not safely write to NTFS, and this is something that Microsoft has put a lot of effort into making sure of. And now that they have everyone trained to install regular "security updates" it is my guess that Linux never will safely write to NTFS, as whenever it does small "security" fixes can be introduced that can tell the difference between a NTFS volume last written by XP and one last written by Linux, and deliberately corrupt it if Linux is detected. Do you think Microsoft would stoop to something that low?

As to the hard disk install, as long as Knoppix is still made of parts of the stable, testing and unstable versions of Debian, then it is not suitable for hard disk install. And the hard disk install scripts have never worked right, for over three years I've been reading posts about things that worked fine from the Live CD but broke after a hard disk "install". Knoppix is what it is, a great Live CD or Live DVD. If you want a Knoppix like system that installs to hard disk and can include any of the software included with Knoppix, install Debian, it is intended for hard disk install.

Do you really think a subject line like the one you choose is going to make you a lot of friends here in a Knoppix support forum? You are badmouthing a version of Knoppix that has not even officially been released to the Internet yet.

well, this is it

Unfortunately, I gave up pretending that a linux distro, even the most user-friendly on the galaxy (linspire, xandros, knoppix) could actually replace the evil desktop master, that would be Microsoft Windows. You know, an OS to be installed onto the HD, be given a graphical tweaking and then, actually work with day to day software. But this is just a dream for the moment. You can't run Linux and Windows the same time, 'cause the both OS dont give a damn about each other (partition recognition). Even so, hardware detection is not 'perfect' in linux. Even so, the software written for linux is... free, which is so nice, but will (n)ever compete with the sofware for money, at least in the matter of... liability for the possible damage caused by that software. And wouldn't be fair, also...
    Well, I've tried about 15 distros, and to be honest, 'your' Knoppix (4.02) was closest to the needs of a ... Windows software passionate user, like me.
    Let's wait a couple of years.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: well, this is it

Quote Originally Posted by zavalita2002
    .... but will (n)ever compete with the sofware for money, at least in the matter of... liability for the possible damage caused by that software.
    You know, you're not coming across well already, but this statement really takes the cake. Have you ever read the end user shrink license agreements? Have you ever heard of any sucessful liability claims aginst software makers? Do you have any idea how many man years of productive business time are lost each day just from users having to reboot their Microsoft systems? And can you show me one person who has gotten one nickel back because Microsoft shoved this junk out the door?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

>Well, I've tried about 15 distros

Like this?
    Distro1: doesn't look like windows
    Distro2: doesn't look like windows
    Distro3: nope, doesn't either

>Let's wait a couple of years.

Please don't include me in the "us".

I already regret my previous (and actual) attitude

Distro 1-15 : doesn't DO what Windows does. Sure, it can do some other things, like exploring the next galaxy beyond ours, recreate our surroundings, improve our life. But I am a mediocre man. I just want some compatibility, browsing, and NOT working with the command line.
    Today I'd give up Windows, forever, if someone showed me a distro who does these things.
    Sorry for hurting the feelings around here.

You know, an OS to be installed onto the HD, be given a graphical tweaking and then, actually work with day to day software. But this is just a dream for the moment. You can't run Linux and Windows the same time, 'cause the both OS dont give a damn about each other (partition recognition)
    I run a more Debian version of knoppix called Kanotix which comes with 2 or more boot loaders that I know of, grub and lilo. Grub was automatically installed, I use it for a dual boot kanotix and windows system and the MBR is not taken over by either OS when I load them on the grub menus which brings me to my point, linux recognizes the partitions of windows just fine (it does this well once logged into the OS aswell) Windows is the one with the partition recognition problem.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Linux can not safely write to NTFS, and this is something that Microsoft has put a lot of effort into making sure of.
    Linux has no problem with write reliability. Though NTFS support still isn't full-feature but that has nothing to do with safety. The current status of the NTFS driver Knoppix uses is on this page: http://wiki.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsmount

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast