Well, my first attempt at rebuilding the DVD iso to boot in Adriane by default was a bust. Got as far as the "Initializing Boot Sequence"(or whatever the message is) being spoken, but the Adriane menu never loads(or if it does, speech never starts)(Actually, are the spoken startup and shutdown messages exclusive to Adriane mode, or do they play even booting normal knoppix?). I think the problem is that I either didn't alter /boot/isolinux/*cfg correctly(I left the one that has default auto near the top unaltered and changed the ones with default knoppix near the top to default adriane(related question: is there something I can replace default knoppix64 with that will both boot in Adriane mode and with a 64-bit kernel?)) or the removal of knoppix1 broke something. Might take a look at /boot/isolinux/*.cfg on my Adriane 7.4.2 DVD to see if I altered the default auto line there. but seriously, is there a less convoluted way of making small alterations to an iso image from the terminal than: sudo mount -o loop the image cp the contents to a folder on a writable filesystem chmod the files to be altered to restore write permissions Edit the files rebuild the image with genisoimage