I really dont want to make things worse, and I am not sure what the Preferences-GParted program is. Is this my only option, is there anything else I can do? because this seems a bit confusing and risky. thanks so much for your help.
I've gotten this type of error message, too. Since we're still not sure what type of filesystem you're dealing with, I suggest using the Preferences-GParted program to get an overview of the hard drives' filesystem(s.) Note that you can make things worse, too - these are powerful programs, and need to be used cautiously.
In my own case, Windows was installed on a partition formatted with NTFS which had become corrupted. Since the error message related to a M$oft file system, it made sense to use their tools to regenerate it, but I needed the benefit of those tools without having the (working) infrastructure (Windows OS to support running M$ programs.)
I ended up using chkdsk successfully, but in order to get their programs to run I needed something I could boot up that supported that. Although Knoppix includes Wine, which would in theory do that, I followed advice I got here and used Hiren's Bootcd- which you can get LOTS of places on the web, esp. via BitTorrent. Knoppix will support that via Transmission on the Internet menu, but you'll need something to save stuff to, e.g. a flash drive.
NOTE Since that disk also contains unlicensed commercial software, be forewarned that, should you choose to download it, you are on your honor to only use the FreeDOS OS and software you have a license to use, e.g. M$oft chkdsk. In my own case, the chkdsk on the Windows partition was not working, but the copy/version on Hiren's worked for me.
Cheers!
Krishna![]()
I really dont want to make things worse, and I am not sure what the Preferences-GParted program is. Is this my only option, is there anything else I can do? because this seems a bit confusing and risky. thanks so much for your help.
You can run the program without fear, to get information; just don't tell it to DO something to a partition (like erase/format/delete it.) I don't know what happened with the link (on your other thread.) Here is what I meant.
Cheers!
Krishna![]()
Last edited by krishna.murphy; 07-05-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Clarity
ok, so is this a program that is part of knoppix that I should open and use, or is it something separate I need to download, I am bit unsure of this part. Thanks so much for all the help.
hey,
i have opened up the GParted and i am not sure what to do next,

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter
$169.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD
$124.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI
$144.00