Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
Well, rather than speculating, we can proceed to produce that geek-knoppix. Then Klaus K is free to include or drop any changes in his next upstream release. And, if you look at his communication with Ryumbeke, he can be very positive towards suggestions and modifications. Also, I think the direction of development in 6.X is the opposite of secteric.

My take on some of the main features:
* ext4-support plus, eventually, other non-suppeorted fs in general use.
* Thorough purging of non-essentials, like space-consuming games. Users can install them themselves.
* Addition of a series of packages that are important for some users. My own standard examples: R and some Java packages.
* Maybe addition of some packages/libraries to facilitate the installation of some programs/extensions that are not included.
* Use of squashfs, at least as one version, keeping the cloop tools.
* Tools for setting up for GRUB-booting.
* Backup of persistent store + safe system transfer. (Copying mounted and constantly modified persistent store is not entirely safe, it seems.)
* Remastering tools.
* If possible, some tool for collecting package use statistics - to aid in inclusion/exclusion of packages.
Here we have a list of changes you suggested for a forked version of knoppix. I think it is a good list, as far as changes are concerned. What I am uncertain is whether it is a good idea to create such a fork. Perhaps we should invite some comments first.