Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
If you organise thing right, you can use cheat codes that are already there (assuming Knoppix 6.4.3 or equivalent).
Code:
fromhd=/dev/sda1 knoppix_dir=home/yourself/remaster
The directory /home/yourself/remaster has to be a real directory (avoid symbolic links and mount points). A nice feature of this approach is that /dev/sda1 doesn't have to be a vfat file system so long as it is a) visible at boot time and b) of a type the init script understands. This means it could (you didn't get this from me) be your ntfs Windows 7 main disk.
I wouldn't recommend newbies experimenting with remastering on Win7 NTFS partitions. I think it is much safer to shrink the Win partition on a disk, set up an ext3 partition there, and do everything on "native Linux".

Apart from that, I think the method looks very promising. I will try out something like this myself now, as I feel forced to do it: Upgrading all packages on Knoppix 6.4.4 DVD today, filled up about 2.6 of total 4 GB persistent store. Therefore, people should not attempt it without really in need of it. OR, as a first step in remastering.

I'll start out using internal hard disk, then I may try with USB-sticks - but I think a better external storage for remastering would be an external SSD drive with USB3 connection.