Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman View Post
However, as a user and someone who has been on this site for nearly 8 years and seen over and over again the reports of disaster after writing to NTFS, I couldn't just pass it and not warn others that it is not a universal opinion. Yea, you can create a file system within another file system under Linux. But to do so you still need to write to the physical file system. Not just to create it but during all of the writing processes. I know of no reason to think that this is safer than just writing to NTFS (which is unfortunately still not safe).
This subject has been mentioned quite many times. 8 years of observation is quite a long time, especially in the world of IT. I am not sure how extensive your observation is substantiated with facts, as software version changes, some bad experience in the past with bugged software may not be applicable to newer versions of software.

The fact is over the recent years, the use of NTFS (for read and write access ) in Linux has got wide spread usage and penetration. If you look at embedded devices, quite many of them are Linux based, they read/write usb flashes and SATA harddisk. I came to know quite many of the media players are Linux based. I also know that Samsung TV is Linux-based too. These devices read/write on NTFS file system (and FAT32) !

I cannot help but to think that read/write of NTFS on Linux has gotten to a usable degree of safety - if one does not use those fancy features of NTFS. But if indeed your observation - substantiated with facts - does indicate that NTFS writing is still unsafe, perhaps it is a problem unique to Knoppix ? I am wondering ......