Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: update hd install with next version of knoppix?

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    If you are not willing to use software the way it is intended to be used, but insist on stretching and bending the rules without the necessary insight to do it right, then lots of software will seem unfriendly, I think.
    Either you learn the simple, stupid way to install Knoppix to HD, which most of us use, OR you use another diistro suited for your way of working OR you learn how to customize Knoppix your way properly. By the time you have learned halfway enough to get the third approach working, I guess you have started to agree with us.
    ok
    thats why i asked the community
    but
    as with linx i got unexpected result - i got error message that i am to stupid tu use linux

thanks

you are very nice

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by ialtaparmakov
    If you are not willing to use software the way it is intended to be used, but insist on stretching and bending the rules without the necessary insight to do it right, then lots of software will seem unfriendly, I think.
    Either you learn the simple, stupid way to install Knoppix to HD, which most of us use, OR you use another diistro suited for your way of working OR you learn how to customize Knoppix your way properly. By the time you have learned halfway enough to get the third approach working, I guess you have started to agree with us.
    ok
    thats why i asked the community
    but
    as with linx i got unexpected result - i got error message that i am to stupid tu use linux

thanks

you are very nice
    At least you seem to be too stupid to understand what people try to say: We are NOT saying you are too stupid to use Linux, we urge you to use Knoppix the simple, stupid ways we others do it. We TRY to explain that what you try to do takes more skill and patience than most of us care to have.
    If you think that's not nice to try to do, it's quite OK with me. But please don't project any unfriendlyness into this. It's for the benefit of all, not the least yourself.

Member registered user
    At least you seem to be too stupid to understand what people try to say: We are NOT saying you are too stupid to use Linux, we urge you to use Knoppix the simple, stupid ways we others do it. We TRY to explain that what you try to do takes more skill and patience than most of us care to have.
    If you think that's not nice to try to do, it's quite OK with me. But please don't project any unfriendlyness into this. It's for the benefit of all, not the least yourself.
    thanks

you are very nice

Quote Originally Posted by ialtaparmakov
    thanks

you are very nice
    If I were employed by Microsoft to make Linux look bad and make people stay away from it, I would probably have done exactly what you are doing now: Taking one of the best and most generally useful pieces of Linux software ever produced, use it in a way it was not intended to work, with focus on an inherently problematic piece of software (OpenOffice), complaining about not being able to make it work your way, and then blame/fllame the people trying to help you out of the mess you have got yourself into.

I don't say that you are a troll, but I point out that you behave exactly like a professional troll might have done.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Either you learn the simple, stupid way to install Knoppix to HD, which most of us use...
    A stupid way is different from a stupid person and as Capricorny included themselves in that group of people who use the "stupid way" I'm satisfied no insult was intended.

ialtaparmakov, we are all victims here - victims of a variety of software that doesn't always do exactly what we want it to do so we come to forums to discuss it. Let's stick to talking about the software.

Member registered user
    i am sorry if i wrote something rough

i was angry because i was helpless.

thanks

best regards

Updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    All your programs and user data reside within /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img. Make a backup of that file - you really should already have done it!
    Then you can start 6.2.1, install it by whatever method, and then copy the image back afterwards.
    Can we update old threads once every year or two? Pruning?
    My query is twofold: Is this backup information still correct?

ALSO: I installed 6.2 from a validated CD and upon updating to 6.2.1 encountered the libisc52 conflict which nobody anywhere has been able to resolve (that I've seen from 2 days of google searches.) Is it necessary to back up and reinstall with a fresh 6.2.1 CD to resolve this?
    I can do that because I created a new partition on a half-empty drive to put 6.2 on in the first place.
    THANKS.

And, PS, this is the only forum I've been on in the last year where the mods and regulars don't flame the noobs. SRSLY. Ubuntu forums are horrible for attacking and harassing people who ask simple questions. God forbid you ask the ubuntu staff for root! [cringes....]

THANK YOU FOR BEING CALM. [And, answering questions instead of attacking the questioner.] EADZ and others have responded nicely to me before, thus I'm joining permanently.

Don Lee
    CEO Ungoth Inc. (Game development)
    Broker, Coastal Keys Real Estate, Kirkland WA USA (day job!)

Moderator Moderator
    AFAIK there is no advantage to 6.2.1; it may even be a downgrade, according to some posters here (6.2's what I use.) Nevertheless, you could most likely do what I think you're trying to do, except it sounds like you did a "full hd install." That is really only useful if you're going to re-master (make your own DVD) - otherwise, it simply leads to problems like you're describing, because Knoppix really isn't well-suited to running that way. Better to install Debian, if you want to go the hd-install way, seems to be the watch-word.

What specifically do you want to get out of the "upgrade?" It may be that you're better off with what you had. You may also want to look at how to use the "poor man's install" (using tohd or the flash-install program) and then fiddle with the boot arrangements, perhaps as Capricorny describes here.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Cheers!
    Krishna

p.s. Thanks for the kudos! I agree that the tone of this forum is outstanding - that's why I try to add what I can.

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    AFAIK there is no advantage to 6.2.1; it may even be a downgrade, according to some posters here (6.2's what I use.) Nevertheless, you could most likely do what I think you're trying to do, except it sounds like you did a "full hd install." That is really only useful if you're going to re-master (make your own DVD) - otherwise, it simply leads to problems like you're describing, because Knoppix really isn't well-suited to running that way. Better to install Debian, if you want to go the hd-install way, seems to be the watch-word.

What specifically do you want to get out of the "upgrade?" It may be that you're better off with what you had. You may also want to look at how to use the "poor man's install" (using tohd or the flash-install program) and then fiddle with the boot arrangements, perhaps as Capricorny describes here.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Cheers!
    Krishna

p.s. Thanks for the kudos! I agree that the tone of this forum is outstanding - that's why I try to add what I can.
    Counting bugs in 6.2 and 6.2.1, my personal result is that the 6.2 bugs are bigger and more serious, especially with some kernel stuff making installations and compilation difficult. Therefore, I tend to quite stubbornly advise people to use 6.2.1 or 6.3. The module conflicts between the two makes it hard to do any kind of mix and match. That's one of the great problems with attempts at ordinary installs with systems that are specifically not designed for it.

The knoppix-data.img thing is AFAIK only for running from sticks or "poor man's installs" - the only installs I think can be recommended. And you can do lots ot tweaking with your "installs" just by modifying that file, keeping different versions giving you "different installs" etc.

Talking how i resolve libisc52 error

Quote Originally Posted by Demopoly View Post
    Can we update old threads once every year or two? Pruning?
    My query is twofold: Is this backup information still correct?

ALSO: I installed 6.2 from a validated CD and upon updating to 6.2.1 encountered the libisc52 conflict which nobody anywhere has been able to resolve (that I've seen from 2 days of google searches.) Is it necessary to back up and reinstall with a fresh 6.2.1 CD to resolve this?
    I can do that because I created a new partition on a half-empty drive to put 6.2 on in the first place.
    THANKS.

And, PS, this is the only forum I've been on in the last year where the mods and regulars don't flame the noobs. SRSLY. Ubuntu forums are horrible for attacking and harassing people who ask simple questions. God forbid you ask the ubuntu staff for root! [cringes....]

THANK YOU FOR BEING CALM. [And, answering questions instead of attacking the questioner.] EADZ and others have responded nicely to me before, thus I'm joining permanently.

Don Lee
    CEO Ungoth Inc. (Game development)
    Broker, Coastal Keys Real Estate, Kirkland WA USA (day job!)
    Hi,

for anyone that have problem updating knoppix with libisc52 conflict, this is just a sharing how I get this resolve (after 2 days trial & error):-

1. remove the conflicting package libisc50 --> dpkg --remove libisc50
    2. you may not success in case there are other dependency involved, as for my case libdns53, so I remove that as well --> dpkg --remove libdns53
    3. now I repeat step 1, its done!!
    4. now if you run "apt-get -f install" that involve libisc52 dependency, it should be ok now;

I noticed there is argumnet on friendliness on linux, frankly, its not as friendly as it does, but you will enjoy the satisfaction if your hack is work.

just be calm, as even I use linux for the past 10 years, I still encounter problem from time to time, but there is always workaround & kind people will help.

lets hope the linux is getting better & better

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12