PDA

View Full Version : Very cool start-up/shut-down sound

linda
05-22-2004, 01:29 PM
I just got Knoppix to work with my sound card, Creative Audigy 2. That was the coolest thing, hearing the female voice saying "Initializing startup sequence, and Initializing shut-down sequence" or something like that. Is that a Knoppix thing, or an Alsa thing? I used the cheat code to get alsa working.

I would like to get alsa working without a cheat code. I think it has to be added to the kernel as a module, but could someone point me in the right direction for doing that? I remember something about typing in "make" in a console once when i was fooling around with Mandrake.

firebyrd10
05-23-2004, 04:12 AM
well its nice to know someone likes the voice. I personally am sick of hearing it but thats just me. Also I think that the voice is a knoppix thing though I'm pretty sure you could do it on just about anyone linux computer and have it play just about any sound file.

j.drake
05-23-2004, 06:12 AM
That was the collest thing, hearing the female voice saying "Initializing startup sequence, and Initializing shut-down sequence" or something like that.

I like it too. Unfortunately, I am working with the 2.6 kernel, which doesn't have it. Otherwise, it's a Knoppix thing (been around since at least v.3.2, which is when I joined this party)

JD

Cuddles
05-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Linda,

I think its a "knoppix" thing....

But, I am sure, you can change it, either through a setting, or by naming a sound file the same as the one it expects...

I have "always" been a collector of sound clips, my best setup was for my Windows95/98 system... Considering the amount of time it took for the system to boot, I had the Alan Sheppard "moon" quote: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind", and when I was shutting down, I used the movie quote from Aliens: "Game over man, Game over"

Just some thoughts,
Ms. Cuddles

linda
05-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Could you tell me the name of the files, and where they are? That way if I want to change it, I can.. or if I want to try a different Linux distro, I can still use it. It reminds me of Xenosaga :-)

Cuddles
05-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Linda,

The "Initiating Startup Sequence" sound can be found at /usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg
and the "Initiating Shutdown Sequence" sound can be found at /usr/share/sounds/shutdown.ogg

Also, the "music" that is played after the above "voice" can be found at the same location, but the files are called:

KDE_Startup.wav and KDE_Logout.wav

Tons of sounds can be found if you type: locate *.wav in a console window (click on the little icon on the bottom of the screen that looks like a monitor with a clam shell in front of it). To exit from this screen/window, just type: exit and it should close.

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

linda
05-24-2004, 12:51 AM
Thank you Ms Cuddles! I was wondering if my trivial question would get a reply! I'm new to Linux, and I guess ogg files are music files. Glad you told me!

eco2geek
05-24-2004, 07:16 AM
Unfortunately, I am working with the 2.6 kernel, which doesn't have it.

Knoppix 3.4-2004-05-17-EN definitely has it, even running the 2.6 kernel! :wink: But when you do a Debian-type install, it no longer plays when KDE starts (thank goodness).

j.drake
05-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Well, what I meant was that if you run the live CD from a knoppix26 boot prompt, it doesn't play the sounds by default, as it does when booting the default 2.4 kernel without any boot prompt.

I had assumed that it was on the disk somewhere. On the bug wiki for 2004-05-10, Fabian said something about linux tag not wanting to pay for the rights any more. Odd, that in this open source alternative reality where linux thrives, where people give away several-hundred megabyte software for free, you'd think that they could find someone to volunteer to record six simple words for free.

JD

Jeremy Haysham
04-26-2005, 04:51 AM
Does anybody know how to get the startup sound back after installing Knoppix onto your hard drive (Debian mode I think)

ICPUG
04-26-2005, 06:28 PM
To J. Drake

I think you probably know this, but for the others on this thread the 'cool sound' is on Kanotix 2005-2 and that is supposed to run Kernal 2.6.

To Cuddles,

Oh dear! You hail from the USA and you think the moon quote came from Allan Shepherd.

The first man on the moon was Neil Armstrong and it was he who said those immortal words.

Allan B Shepherd was the first American in space. He also went to the moon, on Apollo 14 I think. I think he even went on a shuttle flight at one time.

To All,

What we really need, of course, is HAL's voice from '2001, A Space Oddyssey',

"Dave, I don't think you should do that"

just AFTER you select Windows from your boot menu!

ICPUG

Cuddles
04-26-2005, 09:57 PM
ICPUG,

oops, I got my people wrong :( (Alan was the one "who was" going to be, but, if I remember right, he had a "heart murmur" at the final physical, before they were making the decisions, and NASA felt he was a risk... So, he was "overlooked", and continued that way, until "all" the "astronauts" banded together, for all the times he had been "the guy at control looking out for them" when they went. I think they "threatened" to tell the press (which was a big thing at that time), or they might have "walked", or not "done NASA's bidding" until they let him go... Space wasnt my excelled learning, computers were, sorry for the miss-quote ( I am quite sure a lot of people have done it ).

As far as the "Hal" voice, I know it existed in the MAC OS's, for quite some time now... I am pretty sure, if you surf the "audio files", somewhere on the web, it can be found. ( and, the Hal voice, never said that, the actual voice was common to say "Dave, I'm affraid I cant do that" ) -=- and lets not forget the female voice, of SAL, in 2010.

ICPUG
04-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Cuddles,

Thanks for the interesting background information to who got the first moon trip. Never heard it before.

sorry for the miss-quote ( I am quite sure a lot of people have done it )

Yeh - I did with the Hal quote!

In some ways the real Hal quote would be better. When you try to load Windows from the boot menu you hear the Hal quote and then get thrown back to the boot menu! Only way is to go to Knoppix! Alternatively, if you are a Dave Bowman, you change the boot sequence, with Knoppix, to disconnect Hal!

I managed to find a wav version of Hal.

ICPUG